It’s totally normal to go through peaks and troughs of motivation and boredom at work.
Heck, you’re there for most of your day and there’s a lot that can happen in those 8+ hours!
But if you’re feeling down about your day-to-day routine, you’re probably wanting to know: how do you put the spark back in your relationship with your 9-5?
The heavy stuff:
Some reports suggest that we’re facing a worldwide employee engagement crisis.
And in Australia, 60% of employees are disengaged from their workplace.
Here’s how you can take charge:
If you’re worried that you are feeling a little less in love with your job, perhaps try one of these 4 techniques:
- Change the way you work. It could be something as simple as a new approach to doing things, changing up your morning routine or swapping your desk for a standing table and trying a different environment.
- Look at the big picture and practice some good, old fashioned gratitude. Try writing down all the things you like about your job. Then go and do more of those things!
- Take some time out and have a coffee with your work colleagues or your boss and ask about their weekend or their family.
- Get creative and try something new – ask your boss if you can enrol in some online training and learn a new skill. It’s amazing how motivated you’ll be when you’ve got some new tricks up your sleeve.
Hopefully these helped boost your motivation!
However if you’re still struggling with all things work, it might be time to have a little chat with yourself and think about your options.
Life’s too short etc etc [insert your fave motivational quote here]!
Let’s get one thing straight. Mondays should be hectic. They should be busy, exciting, productive, chaotic at times and fulfilling the rest. If you’re spending Sunday night curled up on the couch dreading the next day, then maybe you should be taking a look at how you can change that (without blaming it all on your job).
Have you ever thought that maybe it’s not the end of the weekend you’re lamenting, but the start of your working week?
Sure, there’s an inherent belief that Mondays tend to be the worst day of the week – that’s something that has been ingrained in us since we were old enough to go to school. But at Nimble, we think Mondays are another chance for us to make a positive change in someone’s life and to do what we love for (at least) 8 hours a day.
If you’re one of the lucky ones spending your days in your dream job and just have the occasional bout of Monday-itis, then here’s our top 3 quick fixes to aid your Monday blues:
- Mix it up with walking meetings – you’re blocking out the time to have a catch up anyways, why not do it in the great outdoors rather than the stuffy office meeting room? Catch a tan, get your day’s cardio in and get your ticker pumping.
- Instead of taking a creative break and cruising Facebook for 20 minutes, why don’t you take a stroll over to the kitchen, grab a glass of h20 or have a friendly chat to your favourite colleague? Or drum up a singalong in your team by sharing your favourite playlist on Spotify.
- Go outside for lunch. Try bringing your own (BYOL – see what we did there?) and keep it fresh with healthy salads, wraps, sangas or trusty leftovers. Forgotten your lunch? No biggie. Walk an extra few metres and try the new joint up the road rather than the unhealthy (easy) cafe option next door. Trust us, you will be buzzing with creative energy after a little break outdoors and your boss will be frothing over all the productivity!
Do you hate the work that you’re doing? Sure, if your job is making you wildly unhappy for a myriad of reasons, then maybe it’s time for a change – you never know, your dream job might just pop up when you least expect it!
The information contained in this blog is correct at the date of publication.